Friday, July 22, 2011

30 Day Art Challenge: Day 10

Since I've started offering logo design packages again, I haven't had too much time after work to do much else, so maybe this wasn't the best time to start a 30 day challenge, but I haven't given up yet! I've been working on a bookbag for my niece Kirstin, who starts Kindergarten in August.  She is obsessed with chihuahuas, and my mom tried to find her a bookbag with a dog on it and just couldn't find anything cute, so I offered to make her one.  My mom got this blue backpack with hearts online at Land's End.
So, I purchased this chihuahua picture for $1 from ADreamersVision on etsy:
And I added a pink outline to the doggie and got it printed on fabric at spoonflower.com- an 8"x8" swatch only cost $5!

 Then I carefully cut around the pink line, and then painted fabric glue around the outside edges and adhered it to the backpack:
It's not actually attached in that picture, but you get it.  So now here are the steps I still have left:
1. Go around the perimeter of the dog and stitch the fabric down in a few places where it might easily peel up when a kindergartener starts throwing her bookbag around.
2. Bedazzle! I got some beads at Michael's, and I am going to make the doggie a little beaded necklace and put some jewels on her crown.
3. This is optional: I got some wood blocks to try wood block printing, and I really wanted to stamp some little bones in the section that doesn't have any hearts, but I think it might be overkill, so I'll see how I like it after I get the jewels on.

Update! I finally finished my niece's bookbag! Last night I stitched around the doggie, in the white space I left myself between the artwork and the pink border, and I stitched beads on as a necklace and bejeweled the crown.  I think she looks cute! Then, to keep the threads on the inside from getting caught on pencils and such, I used fabric glue to attach a piece of fabric to the inside of the pocket that covered all the loose threads, and hopefully that will keep the beads from getting loose and falling off also.

No comments:

Post a Comment