Tuesday, July 12, 2011

30 day challenges

I was reading a post by Maggie of Mighty Girl where she spoke of Matt Cutts and 30 Day Challenges. 
I think the only way to really change your life is to do things continually... whether it's taking a class, wearing lipstick or high heels every day, learning to not be so dependent on technology, etc.  When it comes to my artwork, I become complacent for months at a time.  I am lucky in the respect that I have a sustainable field- I make a digital piece and can continue to sell the same print, as opposed to painters who can make one piece and then when they sell it, it's gone.  Which is why they can sell their paintings for high prices.  They are one of a kind.  So when I got to the point where I was making a reasonable amount of sales and had to print things and package them every night, I stopped making new things.  Sure, I make a random new print every once in a while, but for the most part I just renew listings that are already in my shop.  So, for the next month, I am going to create a new piece of art every day! Being realistic, I may not create an entirely new piece every day, but I am going to try to at least work on a new piece everyday.  For a while I had been sketching things everyday, so excited about all the new artwork I could make, and it kind of tapered off (plus I switched to my cute yellow summery Jessica Simpson purse, and my sketchbook kinda crowds it haha.)
Yellow alligator snake skin Jessica Simpson Purse Bag
 See? So cute, I love everything Jessica Simpson makes, even if I would probably never wear 5 inch heels. They're still cute.
Anyway, back on topic, I ramble I know.   So, my point is I wanna try to work on my art every day for a month, OR at least do something crafty.  I have some IKEA fabric that I've been wanting to make pillows with, I've got some clockparts and basswood slices I've had for probably a year that I have been wanting to paint and make clocks with, and I've been wanting to make a bench with cubbies for the entryway so we can leave our shoes by the door (thus keeping the dirt out so even when I don't sweep/mop our socks won't be all nasty.)
So, I'd love for you to share some things you'd like to start doing, whether or not you plan on doing the 30 day challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment